How HealthSmart Supports SEL
Health education is a natural fit for Social and Emotional Learning (SEL). HealthSmart addresses the core SEL competencies for curriculum and instruction outlined by the Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL).
- Self-awareness is built as students explore their current health beliefs, values and attitudes, and assess their current health behaviors to identify strengths and challenges. Lessons support a growth mindset by providing numerous opportunities for students to improve their skills through practice, feedback and support.
- Self-management is supported by lessons that help students manage stress, control impulses, and set and achieve health goals.
- Social awareness is enhanced by activities that promote respect and empathy for others, and encourage students to share their perspectives on a variety of health issues and listen to the perspectives of others.
- Relationship skills are strengthened by skill-building activities that focus on clear and effective communication, refusal and negotiation skills, conflict resolution, and getting help for health issues and problems.
- Responsible decision-making is reinforced as students learn and practice specific steps and strategies for making safe and healthy decisions across a variety of health content areas.
The Emotional & Mental Health units at Middle and High School cover all of these SEL competencies (see Download button below for full Middle School and High School alignment:
SEL skills are also reinforced across the other content areas.
Lesson examples from Grades K–5 (see Download button below for full Elementary alignment):
- Grade K, Lesson 2: Having Feelings
- Grade 1, Lesson 3: Having Friends
- Grade 2, Lesson 2: How Do We Grow and Change?
- Grade 3, Lesson 5: Valuing Self and Others
- Grade 4, Lesson 5: Self-Control for Troublesome Feelings
- Grade 5, Lesson 1: Being Emotionally Healthy
See the full list of 276 K–12 lessons aligned with SEL for each grade level.
Read more about how the National Health Education Standards support SEL.