In this lesson, students explore how they have changed and grown physically, emotionally and socially. They compare the things a baby can do to the things second graders can do, and draw things they can do now as a result of growing and changing. They affirm that changes happen both inside and outside and talk about some of the feelings that may accompany growing and changing. They discuss how people grow and change in their own ways and at their own pace and how important it is to accept and respect differences.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how their bodies have changed and grown since they were babies.
- Describe thoughts and feelings that go with growing and changing.
- Explain that people grow and change in their own ways.
- Explain why it is important to accept differences in others.
- social awareness
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-2: Engage in activities that are mentally and emotionally healthy.
- MEH-7: Show acceptance of differences in others.
- SH-1: Recognize developmental changes experienced by self and others during childhood and adolescence.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Performance Indicator 1.2.2: Recognize that there are multiple dimensions of health.