This lesson helps students apply self-control strategies to manage troublesome feelings. Students identify troublesome feelings and discuss possible consequences of expressing these feelings in inappropriate ways. They examine the concept of self-control and how being in control can help them manage stress and deal with troublesome feelings in healthy ways. They practice demonstrating self-control strategies in response to sample scenarios that students their age may face.
Students will be able to:
- Describe self-control and how it can benefit mental and emotional health.
- Identify nonviolent ways to manage anger and other troublesome feelings.
- Demonstrate self-control techniques.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-1: Express feelings in a healthy way.
- MEH-5: Use self-control and impulse-control strategies to promote health.
- MEH-9: Practice habits that promote mental and emotional well-being.
- V-2: Manage emotional distress in nonviolent ways.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.3: Demonstrate a variety of behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks.