In this lesson, students learn how valuing oneself and others contributes to good emotional health. Students consider the benefits of living in a world where people are different and unique. They define the concept of respect and consider how liking and respecting yourself makes it easier to get along with and respect others. Then they work in small groups to identify things they value about themselves and their classmates using a series of questions. They take home a family sheet to help them talk with their parents or guardians about respecting differences.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how people are similar and different.
- Identify characteristics that make people unique or special.
- Identify characteristics of someone who has self-respect.
- social awareness
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-2: Engage in activities that are mentally and emotionally healthy.
- MEH-7: Show acceptance of differences in others.
- MEH-8: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- SH-2: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.