The Study

About Us is an innovative healthy relationships intervention that promotes positive adolescent romantic relationships and use of condoms and highly effective contraceptives if having sex. The program includes 9 lessons that blend group-based activities with online activities implemented in school-based health centers (SBHCs).

About Us will be implemented in 7 SBHCs located in rural or suburban counties in California. The intervention will be tested using a multi-site independent randomized group treatment trial (IRGT) involving 1,209 students. Randomization to the intervention group or control condition will occur at the individual student level within schools. Each site will be supported to enroll approximately 173 students over a period of five semesters to the study (34-35 per semester or 68-70 per school year); each consented participant will have roughly a 60% chance of being assigned to the intervention condition and a 40% chance of being assigned to the comparison condition, which is a delayed treatment condition.

Thus, across both conditions of the study sites will enroll up to 476 to 490 students in Years 2 and 3, and half that in Year 4.