What you need to know about heroin
Heroin is made from opium, a drug that comes from the seed pods of certain poppy plants. Drugs that are made from opium or made to act like opium are called opioids. This newly revised and updated pamphlet discusses why this highly addictive drug is so dangerous for people to use. Also available in Spanish.
- Explains what heroin is and why it's highly addictive
- Describes the effects of using heroin on the body
- Discusses the particular risks of overdose
- Covers treatment with medicine and with behavioral therapy
- Warns against using heroin during pregnancy