Wait, What?: Growing Up
From Heather Corinna, founder and director of Scarleteen.com, and Isabella Rotman, cartoonist and sex educator, here is a graphic novel guide that covers essential topics for preteens and young teens about their changing bodies and feelings.
In Wait, What? friends Malia, Rico, Max, Sam and Alexis talk about all the weird and exciting parts of growing up! Using comics, activities and examples, they give encouragement and context for new and confusing feelings and experiences. This supportive group of friends are guides for some tricky subjects.
Inclusive of different genders, sexualities, and other kinds of identity, Wait, What? covers important topics like:
- Bodies, including puberty, body parts and body image
- Sexual and gender identity
- Gender roles and stereotypes
- Crushes, relationships, and sexual feelings
- Personal boundaries and affirmative consent
- The media and cultural messages, specifically around bodies and sex
- How to be sensitive, kind, accepting, and mature
- Where to look for more information, support and help
A fun and easy-to-read guide from expert sex educators that gives readers a good basic foundation and an age-appropriate start with sex, bodies and relationships education. The guide is designed for students ages 9-14 in grades 4-8. It's the perfect complement to any school curriculum.