NEW 3rd Edition of HealthSmart Middle and High School!
ETR is excited to announce the latest revision of HealthSmart for the middle and high school levels. The new third edition continues to focus on the essential concepts and skills students need to know and practice to adopt healthy behaviors, and the lessons and activities are tailored to the developmental capabilities of students at each grade level.
- All lessons have been reviewed for medical accuracy and up-to-date content.
- New lessons have been added on social media and emotional health, opioids, affirmative consent and sexual abuse prevention.
- Tobacco lessons have been revised to include and emphasize risks of vaping.
- Engaging PowerPoint slides are provided for every lesson to convey key concepts, enhance discussions and guide group activities.
- Student journal pages have been incorporated into Student Workbooks for personal reflection, guided lecture notes and group activities. Journal pages list important health terms for each lesson, and the Student Workbook now includes a full Health Terms Glossary.
- Language has been reviewed to reflect and promote inclusivity and support a trauma-informed approach.
Educators who purchase HealthSmart continue to have access to the HealthSmart Teacher Support Website that features a wealth of free digital resources, including the Lesson Planning Tool that gives teachers the power to quickly customize a HealthSmart lesson plan.
Alignment with OAH Curriculum Assessment Tools
Funding opportunities from the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Adolescent Health, may require selected curricula to align with the elements detailed in either the Systematic Method for Assessing Risk Avoidance Tool (SMARTool) from the Center for Relationship Education for a risk-avoidance approach, or the Tool to Assess the Characteristics of Effective Sex and STD/HIV Education Programs from ETR and Healthy Teen Network for a risk-reduction approach.
We have aligned the HealthSmart Sexual Health units for middle school and high school with these tools. Alignment documents are available at the links below:
National Sexuality Education Standards Alignment
HealthSmart sexual health lessons in Grades K through 12 have been aligned to the National Sexuality Education Standards.
- Click here to see how the lessons support the NSES.