NEW 2nd Edition of HealthSmart Elementary Is Here!
Now with even better alignment to CDC's Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) and National Health Education Standards
The elementary grade levels of the HealthSmart comprehensive K–12 health education program have been updated in a second edition. All HealthSmart grades now clearly focus on the essential concepts and skills students need to know and practice to adopt healthy behaviors. Lessons and activities are tailored to the developmental capabilities of students at each grade level (K–5), and cover these key health content areas:
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Injury & Violence Prevention
- Nutrition & Physical Activity
- Tobacco & Alcohol Prevention
- Sexual Health (Grades 4 & 5)
All elementary grades come with a Teacher Guide that contains the easy-to teach lessons, with clear objectives, teaching steps and assessment. Grades K–2 come with 6 Classroom Posters (17" x 22") that provide a colorful, large-format way to reinforce the practice of key healthy behaviors; while Grades 3–5 now feature Student Workbooks that include all student reading and activity sheets and provide a complete portfolio of student work for review and assessment.
Colorful images are used to introduce health concepts and skills, stimulate student thinking and keep lessons lively and fun. Images are provided in a PowerPoint slide show and PDF formats. Teacher Masters include take-home family sheets, teacher pages and activity sheets for group projects.
Educators who purchase HealthSmart have access to the HealthSmart Teacher Support Website that features a wealth of free digital resources, including the Lesson Planning Tool that gives teachers the power to quickly customize a HealthSmart lesson plan.
New Lesson on Affirmative Consent
To address growing interest and state legislation around affirmative consent, ETR has developed a supplemental lesson on this critical topic.
The lesson is designed to create a foundation for discussion about Affirmative Consent that can carry through the HealthSmart sexual health lessons. Its goal is to help students understand the concept of Affirmative Consent and practice applying its principles in situations similar to those they may face in their own lives.
We recommend teaching this lesson within the HIV, STD & Pregnancy Prevention unit at high school. A good place to insert it would be before or after Lesson 3: Understanding Sexual Risks & Responsibilities. If state laws or standards require this topic to be addressed at middle school, it would be appropriate to teach after Lesson 2: What About Sex? or Lesson 4: Who's Really Having Sex.
Note: While this lesson could also be incorporated into the unit on abstinence and personal health, teachers should be aware that the some of the scenarios students evaluate include situations in which the partners are sexually active.
- Updated print and digital versions of the Affirmative Consent lesson for High School
Comprehensive Sexual Health Lesson Plans
We've pulled together new Comprehensive Sexual Health Lesson Plans for middle and high school.
All lessons are aligned to the Knowledge and Skill Expectations for Sexual Health in the CDC's Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT), as well as the National Sexuality Education Standards. A great resource for CDC DASH grantees, or anyone who wants to focus on exemplary, comprehensive sexual health education.
- View the list of lessons for Middle School or High School.
- HealthSmart Print Edition users can follow this list to see which lessons to teach from the various units.
- HealthSmart Digital Edition users can go directly to the Middle School Lesson Plan or High School Lesson Plan.
Updated Birth Control Information
The online birth control lesson for middle school has been updated, and we've added two new fact sheets to the high school lesson to include the female condom and the sponge. We also recommend reviewing the methods in order of effectiveness to place an emphasis on long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) methods, which are safe and effective for young people.
Spanish Family Activities for Middle and High School
The family letters and take-home family activities for HealthSmart Middle and High School are now available in Spanish!
- Print Edition users can access the Spanish versions of these materials from the Digital Resources page.
- Digital Edition users will find the Spanish versions in the Related Resources sections on the sidebar of the subject and lesson pages.
HealthSmart Aligned with Common Core
Now you can see how your health lessons support the Common Core State Standards!
- Read more about how HealthSmart activities support Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts in the areas of Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening and Language.
- See specific alignments for Grades K-6, Middle School and High School.
National Sexuality Education Standards Alignment
HealthSmart sexual health lessons in Grades K through 12 have been aligned to the National Sexuality Education Standards.
- Click here to see how the lessons support the NSES.