In this lesson, students explore the variety of consequences of drug use in multiple areas of life through a group brainstorming activity, examine the potential seriousness of these consequences, and personalize the information by deciding which consequences would have the most influence on their decision to be drug free.
Students will be able to:
- Explain how using tobacco, alcohol and other drugs can negatively affect multiple aspects of a person’s life.
- Examine the likelihood and seriousness of negative consequences resulting from tobacco, alcohol and other drug use.
- Describe how negative consequences of using tobacco, alcohol and other drugs could affect them personally.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.8.8: Examine the likelihood of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 1.8.9: Examine the potential seriousness of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.