In this lesson, students use what they’ve learned in this unit to advocate for being drug free. They discuss what they can do to help younger siblings and middle and high school students stay drug free. Then they learn about advocacy skills, including how to adapt messages for an intended target audience. They learn the definition of advocacy campaign, discuss examples of advocacy activities, then work in small groups to read some different scenarios and write messages that support being drug free geared to the appropriate audience in each situation. They use this work to create public service announcements that will reach their peers with the message that avoiding tobacco, alcohol or other drug use is the best choice for teens.
Note: If time is limited, groups may present their PSAs in a future class period.
Students will be able to:
- Summarize the harmful short- and long-term effects of tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.
- Analyze the benefits of remaining drug free.
- Analyze the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol and other drugs.
- Evaluate the importance of not riding with a driver who’s been using alcohol or other drugs.
- Use advocacy skills to help others be drug free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.12.1: Predict how healthy behaviors can affect health status.
- Performance Indicator 1.12.9: Analyze the potential severity of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.12.1: Utilize accurate peer and societal norms to formulate a health-enhancing message.
- Performance Indicator 8.12.2: Demonstrate how to influence and support others to make positive health choices.
- Performance Indicator 8.12.3: Work cooperatively as an advocate for improving personal, family, and community health.
- Performance Indicator 8.12.4: Adapt health messages and communication techniques to a specific target audience.