This lesson helps students analyze media influences on vaping and the use of other tobacco products, alcohol and other drugs. Students share examples of advertising or other media messages that can encourage drug use, and examine the influence of advertising. They review the negative consequences of vaping, other tobacco products and alcohol that are not identified in ads or pro-use media messages. Then they create their own messages that present the facts about drug use and negative consequences to promote prevention and help their peers resist media influences.
Note: If time is limited, the assessment activity sheet may be completed individually as homework.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze how media can influence choices to vape or use other tobacco products, alcohol or other drugs.
- Counteract media messages that promote tobacco, alcohol or other drug use.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.12.1: Predict how healthy behaviors can affect health status.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.12.5: Evaluate the effect of media on personal and family health.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.12.2: Demonstrate how to influence and support others to make positive health choices.