This lesson helps students analyze influences on tobacco, alcohol and other drug use. Students begin by brainstorming ways various factors can have a positive or negative influence on teens’ choices around drugs. They examine both internal and external influences, then they analyze several case studies to identify key influences, including the use of alcohol or other drugs to handle stress. Then they create their own case studies to illustrate how various factors can influence a young person’s choices around drug use.
Note: If time is limited, the assessment activity sheet may be completed as homework.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze factors that influence choices around tobacco, alcohol and other drug use.
- Summarize why tobacco, alcohol or other drug use is an unhealthy way to manage stress.
- Analyze the role of individual responsibility in choosing to be drug free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-2: Avoid misuse and abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.12.1: Predict how healthy behaviors can affect health status.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.12.1: Analyze how the family influences the health of individuals.
- Performance Indicator 2.12.10: Analyze how public health policies and government regulations can influence health promotion and disease prevention.
- Performance Indicator 2.12.2: Analyze how the culture supports and challenges health beliefs, practices, and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.12.3: Analyze how peers influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.12.4: Evaluate how the school and community can affect personal health practice and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.12.8: Analyze the influence of personal values and beliefs on individual health practices and behaviors.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.12.1: Analyze the role of individual responsibility for enhancing health.