This lesson explores the different feelings that can contribute to alcohol use. Students read some stories about young people who experiment with alcohol and analyze the feelings involved in each situation. They list feelings that could lead someone to use alcohol and suggest healthier alternatives for dealing with these feelings. They complete an activity sheet to apply what they learned about alcohol and feelings.
Students will be able to:
- Identify negative consequences of alcohol use.
- Explain the relationship between feelings and alcohol use.
- Describe positive ways to deal with strong feelings without drinking alcohol.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.1: Identify responsible personal health behaviors.