In this lesson, students assess their eating and activity habits and set goals around healthy eating and physical activity. They create journals to help them keep track of daily food intake and how much activity they get each day for a week. Then they evaluate their journal data to identify ways to improve in these areas. They learn the steps for goal setting and complete an activity sheet to help them set a healthy eating or physical activity goal to work on.
Students will be able to:
- Set a realistic personal goal related to improving healthy eating or physical activity behaviors.
- Track progress toward achieving a personal goal to improve healthy eating or physical activity behaviors.
- Identify resources that can help achieve a personal goal to improve healthy eating or physical activity behaviors.
Time: Two 30-minute sessions, one week apart
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-1: Follow a healthy eating pattern that meets individual preferences and needs for growth and development.
- FN-2: Choose a variety of options within each food group.
- FN-10: Prepare good-tasting, nutrient-dense foods for yourself and others.
- FN-11: Choose and enjoy nutrient-dense foods and beverages that reflect personal preferences, culture, and budget.
- PA-1: Engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 60 minutes every day.
- PA-2: Regularly engage in physical activities that enhance cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscle endurance, and muscle strength.
- PA-5: Follow a physical activity plan for healthy growth and development.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.5.1: Set a personal health goal and track progress toward its achievement.
- Performance Indicator 6.5.2: Identify resources to assist in achieving a personal health goal.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.2: Demonstrate a variety of healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.