Students participate in class discussion about the need for washing hands regularly and properly to be healthy, including identifying times when they should wash their hands. They learn the concepts of germs and communicable diseases, then practice the basic steps for proper handwashing. They take home an activity sheet to remind them to practice this healthy behavior and make a pledge to wash their hands throughout the day.
Students will be able to:
- State why handwashing is important to good health.
- Identify when they should wash their hands.
- Demonstrate the proper way to wash their hands.
- Make a pledge to properly wash their hands throughout the day.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PHW-1: Practice appropriate hygiene habits.
- PHW-5: Practice behaviors that prevent infectious diseases.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Performance Indicator 1.2.3: Describe ways to prevent communicable diseases.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.1: Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.