This lesson focuses on the dangers of opioid misuse. Students brainstorm what they know or have heard about opioids, then read a fact sheet about these drugs. They work in small groups to highlight the key information they think students need to know about opioids from the reading. Then they analyze a story to identify examples of both proper use and misuse and describe some of the negative consequences that happen as a result of opioid misuse.
Students will be able to:
- Differentiate between proper use and abuse of prescription opioids.
- Describe negative consequences of misusing opioids
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-2: Avoid misuse and abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.8.1: Analyze the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Performance Indicator 1.8.8: Examine the likelihood of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 1.8.9: Examine the potential seriousness of injury or illness if engaging in unhealthy behaviors.