This informational lesson examines the dangers of experimentation and reasons teens choose to use drugs. Students learn about the stages of addiction, explore reasons teens start experimenting with and continue to use drugs, and summarize their learning by examining case studies of teens in various stages of addiction.
Students will be able to:
- Determine reasons teens choose to use tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.
- Evaluate the dangers of experimenting with tobacco, alcohol or other drugs.
- Explain why using alcohol or other drugs is an unhealthy way to manage stress.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.8.1: Analyze the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.