This informational lesson helps students understand proper use and misuse, as well as effects of misuse, of over-the-counter and prescription medicines. Students learn about different types of medicines and rules for taking medicines. They practice reading label directions and analyze scenarios to distinguish between proper use and misuse.
Students will be able to:
- Explain directions for correct use of over-the-counter and prescription medicines.
- Differentiate between proper use and misuse of over-the-counter and prescription medicines.
- Describe negative effects of misusing over-the-counter and prescription medicines.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-1: Use prescription and over-the-counter medications correctly.
- AOD-2: Avoid misuse and abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.8.1: Analyze the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 3: Accessing Resources
- Performance Indicator 3.8.2: Access valid health information from home, school, and community.