This lesson introduces the idea of peer pressure and refusal skills. Students create pressure lines, then learn about and practice effective words and actions for saying NO to pressure to vape or use other tobacco products, alcohol or other drugs.
Students will be able to:
- Describe effective verbal and nonverbal ways to resist pressure to vape or use other tobacco products, alcohol or other drugs.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.8.3: Describe how peers influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.8.1: Apply effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills to enhance health.
- Performance Indicator 4.8.2: Demonstrate refusal and negotiation skills that avoid or reduce health risks.