In this lesson, students share the results of the peer interviews they did as homework. They use the results as a springboard for a small-group activity in which they analyze reasons teens use drugs and suggest healthy alternatives. They also identify personal benefits they will get from being drug free.
Students will be able to:
- Determine reasons teens choose to use or not use tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.
- Describe healthy alternatives to using tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.
- Summarize the personal benefits of being drug free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.8.1: Analyze the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Performance Indicator 1.8.7: Describe the benefits of and barriers to practicing healthy behaviors.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.8.3: Describe how peers influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.