In this norms-based lesson, students examine their beliefs about drug use among teens, compare their perceptions to actual norms, and discuss the influence of perceived norms on behaviors around vaping, other tobacco products, alcohol, marijuana and opioids.
Students will be able to:
- Examine perceived norms around vaping, and the use of other tobacco products, alcohol, marijuana and opioids.
- Explain that most teens do not use tobacco, alcohol or other drugs.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-4: Avoid the use of illegal drugs.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.8.7: Explain how the perceptions of norms influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.