Students discuss all the ways hands can get dirty and pick up germs during the day. They discuss when and why it is important to wash their hands. They watch a demonstration and practice the steps for proper handwashing, then make a pledge to remember to wash their hands often.
Students will be able to:
- State why handwashing is important to good health.
- Demonstrate the steps to proper handwashing.
- Make a pledge to properly wash their hands throughout the day.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PHW-2: Practice appropriate hygiene habits.
- PHW-6: Practice behaviors that prevent infectious diseases.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.2.1: Identify a short-term personal health goal and take action toward achieving the goal.
- Performance Indicator 6.2.2: Identify who can help when assistance is needed to achieve a personal health goal.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.1: Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.