This lesson helps students avoid secondhand smoke. They hear stories about some different children’s experiences with avoiding tobacco smoke at home. They explore some actions they can take to minimize their exposure to tobacco smoke, then make a sign to share that asks others to help them be smoke free. They take home a family sheet to help them discuss avoiding secondhand smoke with their parents or guardians.
Students will be able to:
- Identify short-term effects of being exposed to tobacco smoke.
- Explain ways to help avoid secondhand smoke.
- Make requests to others to avoid secondhand smoke.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-2: Avoid secondhand smoke.
- T-3: Support a tobacco-free environment.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.1: Make requests to promote personal health.