This lesson helps students avoid secondhand smoke and vaping aerosol. They hear stories about some different children’s experiences with avoiding tobacco smoke at home. They explore some actions they can take to minimize their exposure to tobacco smoke, then make a sign to share that asks others to help them be smoke free. They take home a family sheet to help them discuss avoiding secondhand smoke with their parents or guardians.
Students will be able to:
- Identify short-term effects of being exposed to tobacco smoke and aerosol.
- Explain ways to help avoid secondhand smoke and aerosol.
- Make requests to others to avoid secondhand smoke and aerosol.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-2: Avoid exposure to secondhand smoke and aerosol.
- T-3: Support a tobacco-free environment.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.2.3: Demonstrate ways to respond in an unwanted, threatening, or dangerous situation.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.1: Make requests to promote personal health.