This lesson helps students explore how smoking by family members and other loved ones can be difficult. They learn that being tobacco free is a personal choice, and practice what they can say to share information about the dangers of tobacco with others. The lesson affirms that children can’t always change what others do, but that they can make the personal choice to be tobacco free.
Students will be able to:
- Identify short-term effects of using tobacco.
- Identify short-term effects of being exposed to tobacco smoke.
- Encourage others to be tobacco free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
- T-2: Avoid secondhand smoke.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 5: Decision Making
- Performance Indicator 5.2.1: Identify situations when a health-related decision is needed.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.2: Encourage peers to make positive health choices.