This lesson builds a foundation for avoiding tobacco use by helping students appreciate how tobacco smoke can hurt their lungs. After discussing how kids feel when they are healthy, students practice taking deep breaths. They discuss what could happen if they couldn’t breathe well, and then learn how tobacco smoke can hurt their bodies and make it hard to breathe.
Students will be able to:
- Identify short-term effects of using tobacco on the lungs and breathing.
- Identify how being exposed to tobacco smoke affects the lungs and breathing.
- Identify the benefits of not using tobacco.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
- T-2: Avoid secondhand smoke.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.