In this lesson, students learn rules for staying safe around guns, including to never touch a gun or bullets, move away and tell an adult. They practice applying the rules in a variety of sample situations.
Students will be able to:
- Identify guns and bullets as safety hazards in the home.
- Apply safety rules to avoid gun-related injuries.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- S-4: Apply safety rules and procedures to avoid risky behaviors and injury.
- S-5: Avoid safety hazards in the home and community.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.