In this lesson, students discuss how household products can be dangerous poisons if they are smelled, tasted, swallowed, touched or used in the wrong way. They learn rules for staying safe from poisons and practice applying the rules in a variety of sample situations.
Students will be able to:
- Explain that household products are harmful if ingested or inhaled.
- Identify poisons as safety hazards in the home.
- Apply safety rules for being safe around poisons.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-2: Avoid misuse and abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
- S-4: Apply safety rules and procedures to avoid risky behaviors and injury.
- S-5: Avoid safety hazards in the home and community.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.