This lesson teaches about being safe when riding in a car. Students learn safety rules to follow as a passenger, including wearing a safety belt, using an appropriate car or booster seat and keeping hands and head inside the vehicle. They draw pictures of themselves riding safely in a car and learn a poem to remind them of the car smart safety rules.
Students will be able to:
- State the benefits of riding in the back seat when a passenger in a motor vehicle.
- Demonstrate steps for wearing a safety belt.
- Illustrate the importance of using safety belts and booster seats.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- S-1: Follow appropriate safety rules when riding in or on a motor vehicle.
- S-3: Use safety equipment appropriately and correctly.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.