This lesson explores the idea of feeling safe. Students name people and places that make them feel safe and discuss how feeling safe is part of being healthy. They draw a person with whom they feel safe and learn a poem to help them decide if they need help to feel safe. They make badges to wear to encourage conversations with trusted adults about how they can help students be safe.
Students will be able to:
- Identify people at home, at school and in the community who can help keep them safe.
- Ask for help to be safe.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- S-6: Recognize and avoid dangerous surroundings.
- S-7: Get help for oneself or others when injured or suddenly ill.
- V-8: Get help to prevent or stop unwanted or inappropriate touching.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.2: Identify what the school can do to support personal health practices and behaviors.
- Standard 3: Accessing Resources
- Performance Indicator 3.2.1: Identify trusted adults and professionals who can help promote health.
- Performance Indicator 3.2.2: Identify ways to locate school and community health helpers.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.2.1: Demonstrate healthy ways to express needs, wants, and feelings.
- Performance Indicator 4.2.3: Demonstrate ways to respond in an unwanted, threatening, or dangerous situation.