This lesson helps students consider how lifestyle choices can affect health. After defining the concept of “lifestyle,” students review how common infectious illnesses are transmitted and the behavioral factors that can influence the development of chronic disease. They complete a survey to examine their own lifestyle choices that could affect their future health, and explore attitudes and values that can contribute to practicing healthy behaviors. They summarize their learning by making a simple plan they will follow to help prevent disease and promote lifelong health.
Students will be able to:
- Identify lifestyle choices that can help prevent infectious and chronic disease.
- Describe values that promote healthy behaviors.
- Assess personal health and wellness-related practices.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PHW-5: Practice behaviors that prevent infectious diseases.
- PHW-6: Practice behaviors that prevent chronic diseases.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.2: Demonstrate a variety of healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.