This lesson emphasizes the importance of respecting self-expression in oneself and others. Students read stories about kids their age and discuss whether they think the character is a boy or a girl or unclear and why. They learn terms related to gender roles and expression and discuss why it is important to respect the different ways different people may express themselves around gender. After revisiting a story about a child who is bullied due to gender expression, they create a text message campaign to encourage peers to accept and respect diversity.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the importance of respecting self and others.
- Explain why a range of gender roles and expressions is acceptable.
- Summarize why it is wrong to tease or bully others based on personal characteristics (such as gender, appearance, mannerisms, and the way one dresses or acts).
- Advocate for respecting how others choose to express themselves around gender.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-7: Show acceptance of differences in others.
- SH-3: Treat all people with dignity and respect with regard to their gender identity and sexual orientation.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.3: Describe ways in which safe and healthy school and community environments can promote personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.2: Identify the influence of culture on health practices and behaviors.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.5.1: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- Performance Indicator 8.5.2: Encourage others to make positive health choices.