This lesson helps students summarize and apply what they have been learning about alcohol connections to their own lives. They complete a survey to analyze the influence of consequences, feelings, peers and the media on their own choices about alcohol use, and identify the things that will most support them in staying alcohol free. Then they complete an activity sheet to help them review the things they can say and do to stay alcohol free and the people, skills and knowledge that can support them along the way.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze personal practices and behaviors that prevent alcohol use.
- Explain how family, peers and media influence a decision related to alcohol use.
- Identify resources that can help achieve a personal goal to be alcohol free.
- Describe the final outcome of a decision to be alcohol free.
- Make a commitment to be alcohol free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.1: Describe how family influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.3: Identify how peers can influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.5: Explain how media influences thoughts, feelings, and health behaviors.
- Standard 5: Decision Making
- Performance Indicator 5.5.6: Describe the outcomes of a health-related decision.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.5.2: Identify resources to assist in achieving a personal health goal.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.1: Identify responsible personal health behaviors.