In this lesson, students explore how respectful communication can help them build healthy relationships. After discussing what it means to communicate, students read an article with tips for communicating respectfully and successfully. They practice applying what they’ve learned to analyze examples of communication problems young people may encounter, and then roleplay ways to improve the communication and keep it respectful.
Students will be able to:
- Identify elements of respectful communication.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-1: Express feelings in a healthy way.
- MEH-8: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- MEH-9: Practice habits that promote mental and emotional well-being.
- SH-2: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.5.1: Demonstrate effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills to enhance health.