In this lesson, students analyze media influences on alcohol use. After brainstorming different types of media, they read and discuss an article about how alcohol use is portrayed in advertisements and other forms of media, including how ads are designed to appeal to young people. They then create their own alcohol-free advertisement, using the advertising techniques that they learned.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how relevant influences of media affect alcohol use.
- Demonstrate how to persuade others to be alcohol free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.5: Explain how media influences thoughts, feelings, and health behaviors.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.5.1: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- Performance Indicator 8.5.2: Encourage others to make positive health choices.