In this lesson, students analyze the influence of peers on alcohol use. They read some stories about how peer pressure affects some young people’s decisions about alcohol, and identify potential negative consequences in each situation. They discuss how peers can offer support for being alcohol free and review a series of questions to help them think about the peer influences on alcohol use in their own lives. They then complete an activity sheet that allows them to apply what they learned about peer pressure and how to resist it.
Students will be able to:
- Describe relevant influences of peers on alcohol use.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.3: Identify how peers can influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.1: Identify responsible personal health behaviors.