This lesson helps students monitor and track their progress toward a healthy eating or physical activity goal. Students read about how to track progress toward a goal and review some sample goal plans. Then they monitor their weekly progress toward the eating or physical activity goals they’ve set for themselves, including identifying what’s going well and what could be improved. They share their results with a partner to offer encouragement and advice. Optional activity sheets support students’ work toward their goals with tips for getting enough physical activity and quick-and-easy healthy food recipes.
Students will be able to:
- Track progress toward achieving a personal goal to improve healthy eating or physical activity behaviors.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-1: Follow a healthy eating pattern that meets individual preferences and needs for growth and development.
- FN-10: Prepare good-tasting, nutrient-dense foods for yourself and others.
- FN-12: Support healthy eating patterns for others.
- PA-5: Follow a physical activity plan for healthy growth and development.
- PA-7: Support others to be physically active.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.5.1: Set a personal health goal and track progress toward its achievement.
- Performance Indicator 6.5.2: Identify resources to assist in achieving a personal health goal.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.2: Demonstrate a variety of healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.