In this lesson, students learn about how much physical activity they should be getting every day. They read about the benefits of engaging in different types of activities that help improve flexibility, endurance and strength. Then they complete an activity sheet that encourages them to write down the types of physical activity they like to do or would like to try.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the recommended amount of physical activity for children.
- Identify different types of physical activity.
- Identify benefits of physical activity.
- Identify warm-up and cool-down activities to help prevent injury during physical activity.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PA-1: Engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 60 minutes every day.
- PA-2: Regularly engage in physical activities that enhance cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscle endurance, and muscle strength.
- PA-3: Engage in warm-up and cool-down activities before and after structured exercise.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.