In this lesson, students learn about the qualities and benefits of healthy relationships. After thinking about one of their own good relationships, they brainstorm a list of qualities found in healthy relationships. They discuss why it is important to be aware of one’s own and others’ feelings in relationships, and examine the benefits they get from their healthy relationships with both family and friends. An activity sheet helps them analyze the qualities and benefits of two of their own healthy relationships.
Students will be able to:
- Identify characteristics of healthy relationships.
- Describe the benefits of healthy family relationships.
- Describe the benefits of healthy peer relationships.
- Describe the importance of being aware of one’s own feelings and of being sensitive to the feelings of others.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-8: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- SH-2: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.1: Describe how family influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.3: Identify how peers can influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.