In this lesson, students learn guidelines for healthy eating. They read and discuss an article that outlines how to eat for good nutrition, then review the USDA’s MyPlate food groups and recommendations for amounts to eat from each food group for people their age.
Students will be able to:
- Name the food groups and a variety of nutritious food choices for each food group.
- Describe the benefits of eating plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Explain the importance of eating a variety of foods from all the food groups.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-1: Follow a healthy eating pattern that meets individual preferences and needs for growth and development.
- FN-2: Choose a variety of options within each food group.
- FN-3: Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
- FN-4: Choose to eat whole grain products.
- FN-5: Choose to eat or drink fat-free or low-fat dairy or fortified dairy alternatives.
- FN-8: Limit foods high in added sugars, saturated fats, trans fats, and sodium.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.