This lesson helps students identify signals and get help for friends who are in trouble. They read and discuss an article that covers warning signs that someone might be in danger of hurting self or others, and outline steps to take if they observe these warning signs in a friend or classmate. They take home a family sheet to help them discuss helping friends in trouble with their parents or guardians.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the importance of telling an adult if someone is in danger of hurting themselves or others.
- social awareness
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-6: Get help for troublesome thoughts, feelings or actions for oneself and others.
- V-10: Get help for oneself or others who are in danger of hurting themselves.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 3: Accessing Resources
- Performance Indicator 3.5.2: Locate resources from home, school, and community that provide valid health information.