This lesson helps students understand troublesome feelings as signals for needing help. They read a story about a fourth grader who is experiencing sadness and anger over a family situation, and discuss what signs indicate the need for help. They identify people who could help and consider what the student in the story should do. They discuss the importance of getting personal support for troublesome feelings, then identify the personal feelings, thoughts and behaviors that would signal a need for support.
Students will be able to:
- Identify feelings and emotions associated with loss and grief.
- Explain the importance of talking with parents and other trusted adults about troublesome feelings.
- Identify feelings, thoughts and actions for which someone should seek help.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-1: Express feelings in a healthy way.
- MEH-6: Get help for troublesome thoughts, feelings or actions for oneself and others.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.1: Identify responsible personal health behaviors.