This lesson teaches stress-management techniques to help students deal with stress in healthy ways. Students review different ways to help handle stress, including deep breathing, picturing a calm place, talking things out and asking for help. They consider how feeling more in control can help people handle stress. Then complete an activity sheet to identify some personal stressors and techniques they could apply to help deal with the stress.
Students will be able to:
- Identify positive and negative ways of dealing with stress and anxiety.
- Identify personal stressors and suggest stress-management techniques for dealing with them.
- Demonstrate techniques for dealing with stress in healthy ways.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-4: Prevent and manage emotional stress and anxiety in healthy ways.
- MEH-9: Practice habits that promote mental and emotional well-being.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Performance Indicator 1.5.4: Describe ways to prevent common childhood injuries and health problems.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.3: Demonstrate a variety of behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks.