In this lesson, students identify people who can help them with issues around growing and changing. They consider the kinds of help they might need as they grow and change, and talk about the qualities they would look for in a support person. They complete an activity sheet to list people in their lives whom they could ask for advice and support, and then practice what they could say to ask these people for help.
Students will be able to:
- Identify trusted adults to talk to about the changes that occur during puberty.
- Demonstrate how to effectively ask for help to deal with physical and emotional changes that occur during puberty.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- SH-0: (ETR) Progress through puberty in a healthy way.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 3: Accessing Resources
- Performance Indicator 3.5.2: Locate resources from home, school, and community that provide valid health information.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.5.4: Demonstrate how to ask for assistance to enhance personal health.