This lesson helps students advocate for being tobacco and alcohol free. Students complete an activity sheet to summarize their reasons for being drug free, including the dangers of tobacco and alcohol use and the benefits of being tobacco and alcohol free. They work in teams to combine their activity sheets into a booklet, and plan ways to share their advice about being tobacco and alcohol free with others. They take home a mini-poster to help them remember what they’ve learned about saying no to pressure to use tobacco and alcohol.
Students will be able to:
- Give factual information about the benefits of being tobacco and alcohol free.
- State personal beliefs about the dangers related to tobacco and alcohol use.
- Demonstrate how to persuade others to be tobacco and alcohol free.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-8: Support others to be alcohol and other drug free.
- T-3: Support a tobacco-free environment.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.5.1: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- Performance Indicator 8.5.2: Encourage others to make positive health choices.