This lesson helps students practice some skills to resolve conflicts. They consider a series of questions that can help them solve simple conflicts in ways that are safe, peaceful and fair, and review how to recognize a successful conflict resolution. Then they practice communication skills for negotiating and resolving simple conflicts, as well as how to ask for adult help if a conflict becomes serious.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate healthy ways to manage or resolve conflict.
- Demonstrate how to effectively ask for adult help with serious conflicts.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-3: Manage interpersonal conflict in healthy ways.
- V-1: Manage interpersonal conflict in nonviolent ways.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.4: Describe ways to prevent common childhood injuries and health problems.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.5.3: Demonstrate nonviolent strategies to manage or resolve conflict.
- Performance Indicator 4.5.4: Demonstrate how to ask for assistance to enhance personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.3: Demonstrate a variety of behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks.