This lesson introduces the concept of advocating to help others stay healthy. Students review what they know about how infectious illnesses spread and talk about why it’s important to avoid germs and keep from passing germs to others. They are introduced to some basic steps for advocacy. Then they work in pairs to choose one of the ways to prevent infectious disease and create a poster to tell other kids how to practice this healthy behavior to help avoid germs.
Note: This advocacy lesson depends on students having learned about germs and infectious disease in Lesson 6.
Students will be able to:
- Give factual information to improve the personal health and wellness of others.
- State personal beliefs to improve the personal health and wellness of others.
- Demonstrate how to persuade others to make positive personal health and wellness related choices.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PHW-5: Practice behaviors that prevent infectious diseases.
- PHW-10: Use health care services to address common infectious diseases and manage chronic diseases and conditions.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.5.1: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- Performance Indicator 8.5.2: Encourage others to make positive health choices.