This lesson helps students make the personal choice to be tobacco free. Students review questions to ask themselves when making a decision. They work through an example modeled by the teacher, and then complete an activity sheet to practice making a healthy choice in relation to alcohol use.
Students will be able to:
- Identify situations which need a decision related to alcohol or tobacco use.
- Identify options and their potential outcomes when making a decision related to alcohol or tobacco use.
- Choose a healthy option when making a decision about alcohol or tobacco use.
- Describe the final outcome of a decision related to alcohol or tobacco use.
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- AOD-3: Avoid the use of alcohol.
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 5: Decision Making
- Performance Indicator 5.5.1: Identify health-related situations that might require a thoughtful decision.
- Performance Indicator 5.5.2: Analyze when assistance is needed in making a health-related decision.
- Performance Indicator 5.5.3: List healthy options to health-related issues or problems.
- Performance Indicator 5.5.4: Predict the potential outcomes of each option when making a health-related decision.
- Performance Indicator 5.5.5: Choose a healthy option when making a decision.
- Performance Indicator 5.5.6: Describe the outcomes of a health-related decision.