In this lesson, students set a goal to choose healthy foods and drinks throughout the day. They learn some simple steps for setting a goal, and review the healthy foods rules to remind them how to make healthy food and beverage choices. Students complete a goal-setting activity sheet, then keep a food diary for the week and review their choices each day. They analyze their results to identify which behaviors to continue and which to change to eat healthier.
Students will be able to:
- Set a realistic personal goal related to improving healthy eating.
- Identify resources that can help achieve a personal goal to improve healthy eating.
- Track progress toward achieving a personal goal to improve healthy eating.
Time: 40 minutes, plus 10 minutes over the next 5 days.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-1: Follow a healthy eating pattern that meets individual preferences and needs for growth and development.
- FN-10: Prepare good-tasting, nutrient-dense foods for yourself and others.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.5.1: Set a personal health goal and track progress toward its achievement.
- Performance Indicator 6.5.2: Identify resources to assist in achieving a personal health goal.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.5.2: Demonstrate a variety of healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.