In this lesson, students analyze influences on their food choices. They illustrate their favorite meal and then consider the reasons they like to eat these foods, including family and peer influences, advertising and local availability. They describe their favorite meal to a partner and compare their reasons for eating the foods they chose.
Students will be able to:
- Illustrate a favorite meal.
- Identify and describe how relevant influences of family and culture affect personal food choices.
- Identify and describe how relevant influences of peers affect food choices and other eating practices and behaviors.
- Identify and describe how relevant influences of media (e.g., advertising) affect food choices.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-2: Choose a variety of options within each food group.
- FN-11: Choose and enjoy nutrient-dense foods and beverages that reflect personal preferences, culture, and budget.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.1: Describe how family influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.2: Identify the influence of culture on health practices and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.3: Identify how peers can influence healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.5.5: Explain how media influences thoughts, feelings, and health behaviors.