This lesson helps students think about healthy ways to express different kinds of feelings, including those that may be troublesome or uncomfortable to experience. Students read some descriptions of different emotional expressions and guess what feeling is being represented. They discuss how feelings influence behavior and why it is important to be aware of their own feelings as well as sensitive to the feelings of others. They brainstorm ways to express feelings in healthy ways, including feelings of anger or frustration, and list trusted adults they can talk to when they are experiencing strong or troublesome emotions.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between feelings and behavior.
- Describe appropriate ways to express and deal with emotions.
- Describe the importance of being aware of one’s own feelings and of being sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Identify a parent or other trusted adult to talk with about feelings.
- Explain the importance of talking with parents and other trusted adults about feelings.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-1: Express feelings in a healthy way.
- MEH-4: Prevent and manage emotional stress and anxiety in healthy ways.
- MEH-5: Use self-control and impulse-control strategies to promote health.
- MEH-6: Get help for troublesome thoughts, feelings or actions for oneself and others.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.1: Describe the relationship between healthy behaviors and personal health.